‘Give we the hills our equal prayer,
Earth’s breezy hills and heaven’s blue sea;
I ask for nothing further here
But my own heart and liberty.’
Ask everything more of layout under pressure.
Ask for depths outside and maybe beyond sacred texts.
Reconfigure ‘peace accords’ in glyph-take from deficits
filling out coupons and decorations of hope — elope
in weather maps and tracking, diagrams and divinations.
Ask jam sessions to reconstitute your faith, to make
the dried stalks — wicks — of long dead orchids
to act as spectrometers in the shade of eucalyptus.
Ask more in circulars, gravity-fix of personality,
all those making monsters in snippets of bushland —
such machinery sits in sheds, comes out, deletes
a stretch of flooded gums, returns, settled down.
Ask further of here, ask to shed skin in quietude.
Think of how friendships can kindle in old gaols —
exhibits: chain & ball, inducing of claustrophobia
when that’s a self-parody of the absurd: walls
already closed in, ticket of leave revoked in
striated light, and even back then gerygones,
pardelotes, prelates, roisterous mating song of rufous
whistler. Even then, as if, prayer for asking
to reset, play it differently, or fait accompli?
Never. Not in the hills of production, selfsufficiency.
Correlate a sea in the eye-drought!
What screech of epiphany dismissed for love?
We ask more under cloud where burn comes
fast and shockwave is no application — too
easy to see the disposition of incongruity
is setting up an image, phytochemical symbolism.
Why ask to ask more of core beliefs shed
when stress levels rise? To whom, and why?
Knowing more of lore than one should, it edges
under display, but can’t be plumbed, scrutineers.
A leisure of worship, a relief of granite and clay,
of laterites fines to spread out as tracks to London
or Rome or even an island like Singapore. Television
reception is poor, and that’s to be written as pyramid.
Here, further, out, nothing. Here asked of, a satellite
photographs as firebreaks glare, veins of geometry
leavened: heat signatures of all life, the beetle
we are surprised by (wherefore?), echidna gone
now from dead log ripped open, termite-less
city fallen out: after the event, the spiritual glossary?
Travel to define a feather’s curve, it’s readiness
or unwillingness to wet or dry, precise place
of arising. Could be said simple as flight,
with interference from all directions. So,
allot this fragment to that erosion,
this banging on about the same old thing
to that poisoning. Some of it, honestly — epigene
you can’t see grammatically, can’t add to programme.
And a loop in a signature doesn’t guarantee
cross reference, any more than echoing out
into marri flowerings makes ID — tinted snow
over hill bristles south of here, indeed indeed!, so
overwhelming that we’d believe the bunker-busting dozer
parked — snuggled — behind a few of them for over
a week now is contrite, pulling its head in,
lying low till (at least) the glorious palaver
of opening is over. Then down down down
into copyright and colonial overture of Underworld
idiom, a pew a cushion to kneel on, yank out weeds
in the old way (visions of ancient relatives?).
Ask more of a subject than an encyclopaedia
can offer you. Ask rubric and antiquity and transmutation,
ask gnosis and eitic/n-eitic/heitic/t-heitic & glory barbs
(a thumb is infecting from being scratched pulling caltrop).
Sore. Prayers lugged to carry you via — no way to obtain
lift when said and gone? Stirred in dust and residue
of manufacturing? Really, ask for more than shoot to kill
take aim at your denial of scorched earth? Your — us other:
‘You gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky, greenie punks?’
says the funny fairground fella, all pukka on Twitter.
We mean — commonplace, common prayer in league.
Such power quickfix laugh model stand-up massacre mirror.
It’s all in the splurge, the burst of ‘information’. Lamentations
are lamington drives to collate a backlash — the seedbank
(genetically modified) of moralising calls out moralists.
Pitchfork realism in tractor loveland, we bow down
and take our rolling back of vegetation on the chinwag.
Wagtail does its watching, don’t you worry. No fear!
Ask everything more of layout under pressure.
Ask more, ask more of jam sessions ask more
of nature descriptions ask more of annunciations
of erasure, ask more of art therapy and sacred texts.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 93: PEACHSUBMIT to L Van, G Mouratidis, L Toong 92: NO THEME VIIICOMING SOON with C Gaskin 91: MONSTERwith N Curnow 90: AFRO AUSTRALIANwith S Umar 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith F Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith V Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith J Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith K Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with D Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with P Brown 52.0: TOIL with C Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with L Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with B Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with J Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with T Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with C Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with M Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with F Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with J Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with D Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with K MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with A Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with G Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with D Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with K MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with L Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with S Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with S Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with A Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with S Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with A Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with J Jones
- Introduction to Zenobia Frost’s After the Demolition
- Phillip Hall Reviews Robert Harris’s The Gang of One: Selected Poems
- Adam Ford Reviews Rae White’s Milk Teeth and Anders Villani’s Aril Wire
- Jennifer Mackenzie Reviews Elif Sezen’s A little book of unspoken history
- Introduction to Charmaine Papertalk Green’s Nganajungu Yagu
- Brigid Magner Reviews Michele Leggott’s Vanishing Points and Elizabeth Smither’s Night Horse
- Jack Kelly Reviews Liam Ferney’s Hot Take
- Submission to Cordite 93: PEACH
- Introduction to Cordite 91: MONSTER
- Poetry, Whatsoever: Blake, Blau DuPlessis, and an Expansive Definition of the Poem
- On Being Sanguine: Two Years of Panic and a Response to Terror in Christchurch
- A Deaf Rough Trade: Defending Poetry to ‘regular people’
- 12 Panels by Chris Gooch
- 5 Translated Yosuke Tanaka Poems
- A Buzz in the Retina: On Translating Luljeta Lleshanaku
- ‘That is some crafty bite’: Trisha Pender Interviews Melinda Bufton
- ‘You’re never disembodied from the action’: Dylan Frusher Interviews Judith Beveridge
- Excerpts from Neon Daze
- Chorography and Toute-eau in the Waters of Lower Murray Country
- 6 Poems from Robin M Eames
- Aussi / Or: Un Coup de dés and Mistranslation in the Antipodes
- Every other Friday
- I Still Love Without My Head
- Heath Ledger’s Joker
- Only fair