‘Give we the hills our equal prayer,
Earth’s breezy hills and heaven’s blue sea;
I ask for nothing further here
But my own heart and liberty.’
Ask everything more of layout under pressure.
Ask for depths outside and maybe beyond sacred texts.
Reconfigure ‘peace accords’ in glyph-take from deficits
filling out coupons and decorations of hope — elope
in weather maps and tracking, diagrams and divinations.
Ask jam sessions to reconstitute your faith, to make
the dried stalks — wicks — of long dead orchids
to act as spectrometers in the shade of eucalyptus.
Ask more in circulars, gravity-fix of personality,
all those making monsters in snippets of bushland —
such machinery sits in sheds, comes out, deletes
a stretch of flooded gums, returns, settled down.
Ask further of here, ask to shed skin in quietude.
Think of how friendships can kindle in old gaols —
exhibits: chain & ball, inducing of claustrophobia
when that’s a self-parody of the absurd: walls
already closed in, ticket of leave revoked in
striated light, and even back then gerygones,
pardelotes, prelates, roisterous mating song of rufous
whistler. Even then, as if, prayer for asking
to reset, play it differently, or fait accompli?
Never. Not in the hills of production, selfsufficiency.
Correlate a sea in the eye-drought!
What screech of epiphany dismissed for love?
We ask more under cloud where burn comes
fast and shockwave is no application — too
easy to see the disposition of incongruity
is setting up an image, phytochemical symbolism.
Why ask to ask more of core beliefs shed
when stress levels rise? To whom, and why?
Knowing more of lore than one should, it edges
under display, but can’t be plumbed, scrutineers.
A leisure of worship, a relief of granite and clay,
of laterites fines to spread out as tracks to London
or Rome or even an island like Singapore. Television
reception is poor, and that’s to be written as pyramid.
Here, further, out, nothing. Here asked of, a satellite
photographs as firebreaks glare, veins of geometry
leavened: heat signatures of all life, the beetle
we are surprised by (wherefore?), echidna gone
now from dead log ripped open, termite-less
city fallen out: after the event, the spiritual glossary?
Travel to define a feather’s curve, it’s readiness
or unwillingness to wet or dry, precise place
of arising. Could be said simple as flight,
with interference from all directions. So,
allot this fragment to that erosion,
this banging on about the same old thing
to that poisoning. Some of it, honestly — epigene
you can’t see grammatically, can’t add to programme.
And a loop in a signature doesn’t guarantee
cross reference, any more than echoing out
into marri flowerings makes ID — tinted snow
over hill bristles south of here, indeed indeed!, so
overwhelming that we’d believe the bunker-busting dozer
parked — snuggled — behind a few of them for over
a week now is contrite, pulling its head in,
lying low till (at least) the glorious palaver
of opening is over. Then down down down
into copyright and colonial overture of Underworld
idiom, a pew a cushion to kneel on, yank out weeds
in the old way (visions of ancient relatives?).
Ask more of a subject than an encyclopaedia
can offer you. Ask rubric and antiquity and transmutation,
ask gnosis and eitic/n-eitic/heitic/t-heitic & glory barbs
(a thumb is infecting from being scratched pulling caltrop).
Sore. Prayers lugged to carry you via — no way to obtain
lift when said and gone? Stirred in dust and residue
of manufacturing? Really, ask for more than shoot to kill
take aim at your denial of scorched earth? Your — us other:
‘You gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky, greenie punks?’
says the funny fairground fella, all pukka on Twitter.
We mean — commonplace, common prayer in league.
Such power quickfix laugh model stand-up massacre mirror.
It’s all in the splurge, the burst of ‘information’. Lamentations
are lamington drives to collate a backlash — the seedbank
(genetically modified) of moralising calls out moralists.
Pitchfork realism in tractor loveland, we bow down
and take our rolling back of vegetation on the chinwag.
Wagtail does its watching, don’t you worry. No fear!
Ask everything more of layout under pressure.
Ask more, ask more of jam sessions ask more
of nature descriptions ask more of annunciations
of erasure, ask more of art therapy and sacred texts.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 91: NO THEME VIIISUBMIT to C Gaskin 90: MONSTERwith N Curnow, coming soon! 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith Fiona Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith Vladimir Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith Judith Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith Keri Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with Dan Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with Pam Brown 52.0: TOIL with Carol Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with Luke Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with Bonny Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with John Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with Tracy Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with Corey Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with Michael Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with Felicity Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with Jan Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with Derek Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with Kent MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with Ann Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with Gig Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with Duncan Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with Kent MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with Libby Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with Sarah Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with Sam Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with Astrid Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with Sean Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with Alan Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with Jill Jones
- Alex Creece Reviews Marion May Campbell’s third body
- Ivy Ireland Reviews Steve Armstrong
- Magan Magan Reviews deciBels 3
- Claire Albrecht Reviews Manisha Anjali’s Sugar Kane Woman
- Review Short: Simeon Kronenberg’s Distance
- Review Short: Judith Beveridge’s Sun Music: New and Selected Poems
- Melody Paloma Reviews Keri Glastonbury
- Submission to Cordite 91: NO THEME VIII
- Judith Bishop Reviews Phillip Hall’s Fume
- Bella Li on as Associate Publisher
- Alex Creece on as Production Editor
- Review Short: Diane Fahey’s November Journal and Carmen Leigh Keates’s Meteorites
- Review Short: Vahni Capildeo’s Seas and Trees and Jennifer Harrison’s Air Variations
- To Outlive a Home: Poetics of a Crumbling Domestic
- ‘The Rally Is Calling’: Dashiell Moore Interviews Lionel Fogarty
- Jackie Ryan: Teaser to Burger Force 3
- Dispatch from the Future Fish
- Introduction to Cordite 89: DOMESTIC
- 7 Portraits by Ali Gumillya Baker
- Selections from 3 Yhonnie Scarce Series
- Kathy Acker and The Viewing Room
- To Live There: on ‘Dispatch from the Future Fish’
- The Wild Workshop: The Ghost of a Brontëan Childhood in the Life of Dorothy Hewett
- Externalising the Symptom: Radicalised Youth and The Membrane
- On Deep Breaths and Friends Forever: Im/materiality and Mis/communication in Happy Angels Revisited
- Letter to Anne Carson: Work of Remembrance and Mourning
- Translated Extracts from Chantal Danjou