the first: watashiwa piano
mizue takada on the walkman. my japanese
is like fractured helium. i'm wearing paradise
pink bobbles in my folded hair. my fingers are
origami swans. i shuffle my nerves to the corners
of my mouth. he is coming closer. we talk nicknames
& canasta & pizza. he walks into my kiss. then he says:
wanna play 'go' sometime? i could kick your
the second: dadra
eating subji on the train. a sitar as purple as dad's.
the pineapple sunset is scraped with morning red.
you always wanted the trip of a lifetime. this scene
was just the ticket. as we share bad wine you lean in.
pulling out a fantale & a pink handkerchief you swear.
then: hey baby, was this the way you pictured it?
the third: before Nirvana
banana clips. balloon shoes. baggies.
baroque. batwing blouses. big bangs. bicycle shorts.
bermuda shorts. bolero jacket. bubble gum jeans. bows.
bra shirts. bullet belts & bandanas.
this is the backdrop for a bad night. bowled over
by the eighties. you have a solid navy top.
i hate the way you always smack my mum on the ass
& then talk to me about commitment.
the fourth: during the Dirty Three
we made out like punk music & stared at each other
like alt country. you were severe in every brush stroke.
all that alcohol & loopy band behaviour. i loved your
hook & kink but couldn't stand the love quotes from
random books. we held hands during jim's drums.
i cringed when you said: this is the theme to my sadness.
the fifth: after Charles Mingus II B.S.
'Often when I'm sitting at the piano , developing a piece,
it's difficult to put a label on the particular feeling I have going.'
smashmouth bittenbabe. this was the chase. you
were tenor to my sax. just when the shuffle started
you said: i'm moving to spain. i like the weather
& the women. i couldn't think of the words.
how do you say go ahead in spanish &
shit in a calm voice.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 93: PEACHSUBMIT to L Van, G Mouratidis, L Toong 92: NO THEME VIIIwith C Gaskin 91: MONSTERwith N Curnow 90: AFRO AUSTRALIANwith S Umar 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith F Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith V Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith J Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith K Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with D Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with P Brown 52.0: TOIL with C Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with L Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with B Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with J Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with T Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with C Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with M Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with F Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with J Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with D Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with K MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with A Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with G Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with D Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with K MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with L Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with S Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with S Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with A Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with S Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with A Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with J Jones
- NO THEME VIII Editorial
- ‘A means of resistance’: Susie Anderson Interviews Alison Whittaker
- 10 Works by Richard Bell
- Shipwrecks in Modern European Painting and Poetry: Radical Mobilisation of the Motif as Political Protest
- 4 Self-translations by Danijela Trajković
- Brutalism: Poems by Alex Creece
- Imperfect Growth: a Travel Log
- 4 Translated Kim Seung-hee Poems
- Residence: Dwelling with The Shards (an essay)
- The Shards
- in yr swimming pool
- Sonar for Conception
- The slow clock
- nanny on the water
- Vernal Funks & Bluffs
- I’d Have Called Her Sooner
- Call of Summer
- Sunday, call me a squid
- Mother Bird
- The Wrong Colour
- Milk River
- House fitting : surprisingly
- Farewell to Sweet Pea