On the run from the W.A. police, her faking German accent
could be someone else: embassies [snapshot] in their circular
drives, late night music. Claus plays haus in Canberra,
surrendering to the domestic obscene. She home hones
in mu-mu when home so foolish, stretches her long legs
to admire shell pink toenails. Claus is punk hausfrau who only
just makes code. Still the morning deflate.
Before this rapid joy in sunglasses, remote mutes happen
in a box. Did you say instant? On the opposite side
of the lounge they have closed the borders to Europe.
Claus works the images, kills the sound. Prone and sensitive
before afternoon soap, that cool ex-wife, next-wife plot
creates such cosmetic intersect. All goes quiet, actors tho’ and
monstrous nobodies. Sound down politesse: each listening
elsewhere. Why we feel torrent almost tolerant. Outside
the wind freshens to mass moist air above the continent.
Though as a rule clouds avoid this place. Elsewhere
is mayhem in what should be Spring. Where’s the hope,
where’s the promise? It’s a disaster end to end, and everyone’s
muscling up, muscling in.
What really interests jostles her. Pause
and stretch: jigs, cutouts cutaways and reveals to that soft
unused skin. Could they be implants? Now she is sell, the soft
sell. How did it go so wrong? Inside the cage, life hardly moves
:toy truck, broken glass, rotten goop that is so sub-urban
:she’s been here long enough waiting at the zoo with the other
animals. Claus remembers the different pleasures of kissing a man
with three days growth and of a woman.
This is big. She feels irresponsible. Forget the future, un-imagine
a past, there is only here Ground Zero where she rents the view.
What did Little Gidding say about ends and beginnings?
The landline rings. Overhead a helicopter hovers, and out on
the street the police negotiator leans over the roof of his car.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 93: PEACHSUBMIT to L Van, G Mouratidis, L Toong 92: NO THEME VIIIwith C Gaskin 91: MONSTERwith N Curnow 90: AFRO AUSTRALIANwith S Umar 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith F Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith V Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith J Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith K Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with D Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with P Brown 52.0: TOIL with C Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with L Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with B Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with J Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with T Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with C Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with M Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with F Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with J Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with D Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with K MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with A Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with G Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with D Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with K MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with L Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with S Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with S Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with A Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with S Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with A Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with J Jones
- NO THEME VIII Editorial
- ‘A means of resistance’: Susie Anderson Interviews Alison Whittaker
- 10 Works by Richard Bell
- Shipwrecks in Modern European Painting and Poetry: Radical Mobilisation of the Motif as Political Protest
- 4 Self-translations by Danijela Trajković
- Brutalism: Poems by Alex Creece
- Imperfect Growth: a Travel Log
- 4 Translated Kim Seung-hee Poems
- Residence: Dwelling with The Shards (an essay)
- The Shards
- in yr swimming pool
- Sonar for Conception
- The slow clock
- nanny on the water
- Vernal Funks & Bluffs
- I’d Have Called Her Sooner
- Call of Summer
- Sunday, call me a squid
- Mother Bird
- The Wrong Colour
- Milk River
- House fitting : surprisingly
- Farewell to Sweet Pea