(courtesy of the White Cockatoo)
Petersham: the formerly fashionable
but now rather heavy overcoat
on the portugese tart. Tickertape ribbons
and other dictionary entries.
Lip-reading Theory of the Leisure Classes,
little Ern stumbles through the public primary
before graduating to Summer Hill Intermediate.
Spain weeps in the gutters of Footscray,
to say nothing of our serious frolic.
Closed my inanimate lids to find it real
behind the shelter sheds. I tell you
these things are real. Even
baroque Mediterranean garden furniture.
Greek quails under the flight path,
cooing softly: the girl from i perama.
Rooming houses line summer dust,
a month of pianos for Kate and Pete.
We wanted underground lighting
or even just subtext
to distinguish the last three decades
of a fallen Enlightenment.
Romance relishes the house-referential,
listening night after night
to Janet Jackson’s Alright pump
through over-priced rental walls.
Hightailing cowboys drawl
back to school, it’s fort for
or la di da, Lacan with a cute snub
neurosis warring over the inner, waning West.
Someone has to pay
or there would be no affect. Pasta dura
rather than Dürer. Crusty paraphrases
stagnant on the unclaimed meat-tray.
We purvey a crystal ball obscura,
a street stripped back, oxford-pinked.
1999 ‘found’ postcard: Hi Mum!
Didn’t inhale Paramatta Road, parked
on anarchy’s shop-floor, Birkenstocked
our way through claypot chicken,
& bought into the $5 Rashai
Frequent Diner’s Club cartel.
It’s true, global ecologies
kept us searching for the gastro-commune,
but to no avail. xxxx, E.M.
lags on the line-faltering footpaths.
December gossips between
of, whenever, and somewhat expectantly,
another tin-roofed rapport.
Next year, Lieutenant-Governor
Francis Grose will check out the real estate here,
wave to Joel in the flat above,
and set up a row of convict sweat crops.
Before you know it, it’ll even be home to
The Australian, or at the least its tidy originator.
All good & legal, so they say. Identity
flashes in. At our duplex, national pride
still gags for just one more go
at the Olympics. But why pine for the ultimate
when you can already see Ultimo?
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 91: NO THEME VIIISUBMIT to C Gaskin 90: MONSTERwith N Curnow, coming soon! 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith Fiona Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith Vladimir Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith Judith Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith Keri Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with Dan Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with Pam Brown 52.0: TOIL with Carol Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with Luke Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with Bonny Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with John Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with Tracy Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with Corey Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with Michael Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with Felicity Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with Jan Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with Derek Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with Kent MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with Ann Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with Gig Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with Duncan Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with Kent MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with Libby Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with Sarah Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with Sam Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with Astrid Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with Sean Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with Alan Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with Jill Jones
- Review Short: Simeon Kronenberg’s Distance
- Review Short: Judith Beveridge’s Sun Music: New and Selected Poems
- Melody Paloma Reviews Keri Glastonbury
- Submission to Cordite 91: NO THEME VIII
- Judith Bishop Reviews Phillip Hall’s Fume
- Bella Li on as Associate Publisher
- Alex Creece on as Production Editor
- Review Short: Diane Fahey’s November Journal and Carmen Leigh Keates’s Meteorites
- Review Short: Vahni Capildeo’s Seas and Trees and Jennifer Harrison’s Air Variations
- To Outlive a Home: Poetics of a Crumbling Domestic
- ‘The Rally Is Calling’: Dashiell Moore Interviews Lionel Fogarty
- Jackie Ryan: Teaser to Burger Force 3
- Dispatch from the Future Fish
- Introduction to Cordite 89: DOMESTIC
- 7 Portraits by Ali Gumillya Baker
- Selections from 3 Yhonnie Scarce Series
- Kathy Acker and The Viewing Room
- To Live There: on ‘Dispatch from the Future Fish’
- The Wild Workshop: The Ghost of a Brontëan Childhood in the Life of Dorothy Hewett
- Externalising the Symptom: Radicalised Youth and The Membrane
- On Deep Breaths and Friends Forever: Im/materiality and Mis/communication in Happy Angels Revisited
- Letter to Anne Carson: Work of Remembrance and Mourning
- Translated Extracts from Chantal Danjou
- Translations from Old English
- The Poets: Pejk Malinovski Self-translates
- Carnage, Crosses and Curiosity: 13 Images by Yvette Holt
- Body of Sound