for Toby Fitch
Scrape hard for the ruins, duke,
I am at Heide thinking of birth
and you, you are at the NSW
thinking of Bacon and me.
Think hamburgers of slag metal
and contortion scrapped.
Agreed, cloister as bedroom,
as squat indefinition.
This is not the last we speak of Isao,
blistering light, the long-necked
poppies, calmatives, moral
The orifices of the work were vistas
in the rambles, he vaunts, tied
weightless to the tallest tangerine,
buds not fruit like hung by nativity,
not kumquat, the genii to first
love affair’s drive in Lesmurdie,
homestead instead, pageant of weeping,
Hard-done-by severance nearby
still night, for you and me, we say, yes,
hard to come by such quality silence.
Flung spigot to the well flue,
well-deep cited to my surprise
is hardly treading.
And the waters of Yarra reflux,
which could’ve been aspic, after all.
You want money? What will Cashies
give for Edward Gordon Craig’s
screens? To stave off the present
drafted, instead – since summer’s
lovely hue cheapens the north-facing –
a gelding correspondence. They circle
Moonee Ponds racecourse bullet-shy,
cowboy and charlatan-dogged.
The Bacon I hope sealed that moratorium
where salvia booms, tendentious
cowed mass any place if drugged for the win,
hence the 10,000 falls easily. Winsome
salvia gave this Clifton Hill ramble
something to look forward to, when I give up
my taxi, that is, as lasso it makes a great
burden. Whence brew
no blues rushing, and at speed ugly, no doubt,
but the flesh accumulated, like that
Marinetti turn – if only he’d bartered
better with the spirit world – miraculous,
for flesh to tear all fleshly.
Enter attack of the beast, a consolation
as much as influential, since if favour for the machine
by Tiffany’s on Collins reproduces M. H.
shredding his unpurposive trachea,
I should like to ask M. H., who knows
Schopenhauer, how M.H. remains the denomination
common in a fruit fly transition?
Petitionary memo, yes, I decide otherwise, leaving it
to a reader to enjoy the more interesting task,
regarding denominators, of working out of which
M.H. here is speaking. Two or more.
Cloister as bedroom is best lit, and sharpest view
of the weeping pageant – doppelgangers too in the glare
of triffids. The lasso marks around this neck, the smoke trail.
There is no clean way to shirk devoted correspondents.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 91: NO THEME VIIISUBMIT to C Gaskin 90: MONSTERwith N Curnow, coming soon! 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith Fiona Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith Vladimir Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith Judith Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith Keri Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with Dan Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with Pam Brown 52.0: TOIL with Carol Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with Luke Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with Bonny Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with John Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with Tracy Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with Corey Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with Michael Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with Felicity Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with Jan Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with Derek Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with Kent MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with Ann Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with Gig Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with Duncan Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with Kent MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with Libby Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with Sarah Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with Sam Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with Astrid Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with Sean Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with Alan Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with Jill Jones
- Review Short: Simeon Kronenberg’s Distance
- Review Short: Judith Beveridge’s Sun Music: New and Selected Poems
- Melody Paloma Reviews Keri Glastonbury
- Submission to Cordite 91: NO THEME VIII
- Judith Bishop Reviews Phillip Hall’s Fume
- Bella Li on as Associate Publisher
- Alex Creece on as Production Editor
- Review Short: Diane Fahey’s November Journal and Carmen Leigh Keates’s Meteorites
- Review Short: Vahni Capildeo’s Seas and Trees and Jennifer Harrison’s Air Variations
- To Outlive a Home: Poetics of a Crumbling Domestic
- ‘The Rally Is Calling’: Dashiell Moore Interviews Lionel Fogarty
- Jackie Ryan: Teaser to Burger Force 3
- Dispatch from the Future Fish
- Introduction to Cordite 89: DOMESTIC
- 7 Portraits by Ali Gumillya Baker
- Selections from 3 Yhonnie Scarce Series
- Kathy Acker and The Viewing Room
- To Live There: on ‘Dispatch from the Future Fish’
- The Wild Workshop: The Ghost of a Brontëan Childhood in the Life of Dorothy Hewett
- Externalising the Symptom: Radicalised Youth and The Membrane
- On Deep Breaths and Friends Forever: Im/materiality and Mis/communication in Happy Angels Revisited
- Letter to Anne Carson: Work of Remembrance and Mourning
- Translated Extracts from Chantal Danjou
- Translations from Old English
- The Poets: Pejk Malinovski Self-translates
- Carnage, Crosses and Curiosity: 13 Images by Yvette Holt
- Body of Sound