‘Weather Gone Wild’, September 2012
on the incongruous jungle seat. Mongolian
boy pushes his sister
on a makeshift swing.
Frayed ropes, dirty, smiling
faces. Cloudless sky.
from a ditch
by a choc-chip cookie.
Romeo Doneza’s city skyline is black and white
through a hole in a freestanding
rooftop door. Blerta Zabergja’s skyline:
smoke-stacked and orange-hazed. She takes
a photograph while she’s photographed.
In deep space, a single egg rests in a nest
woven by human hands.
A salt white sky
peppered by birds.
A salt white sky
storm-clouded with birds
in the shape of a girl
who might be dancing.
A snake charmer’s cobra
has choc-caramel markings.
in saffron, receding.
Aerial map of America physical.
Black and green. Warning:
fluorescent roboworm. Death
by slow grinding glow.
Diver in a test tank, a bubbled view
of a shining world above. Space probe
beneath the sea investigates
submerged mountains. A seal
in long, green grass. Man in the probe
wears glasses, his dashboard says
one nine five one seven seven one six two.
To his right,
like a drowning printer cartridge.
Many species of unnamed gastropods and shrimps
in thirty-one Brady Bunch squares. But no one
looks at anyone. A school
of orange swordtails
another printer cartridge beside a scuba diver
and a massive brain coral.
A Filipino Tansier stares with gremlin eyes.
aqua, black and yellow.
Rising dust cloud. Pink and yellow lights
A burning fence pole at Bastrop.
Frozen spray on a four-wheel drive
near Lake Geneva at night. Smiling girl
skates. In Tennessee,
lovers in a flood sit on the roof
of a sinking car. Tornado scarred
Tuscaloosa from above. Survivors:
hospital and football stadium. Tornado now!
Black grey brown on a wet road
in Nebraska. An emergency vehicle chases it.
Gushing water chases a Chinese villager
down a stairwell. He’s in military fatigues.
Levee house at Vichsbury survives a flood. Miles
of brown water then Martian landscape. Bill
Tulloch sits under a tree, hat in his lap:
If you’re proud of your country, you try
to take care of it. San Saba
River is salt. Friday night’s football team stands
on its field under dusk moon. Kenneth Durst
in the Mason Feed Store watched over
by moose heads and leaning folders: They bought
a lot of hay and feed
to save at least their young cows.
One man perched on a windmill appears to fix it
while another, half-way up, stares at him.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 93: PEACHSUBMIT to L Van, G Mouratidis, L Toong 92: NO THEME VIIICOMING SOON with C Gaskin 91: MONSTERwith N Curnow 90: AFRO AUSTRALIANwith S Umar 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith F Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith V Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith J Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith K Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with D Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with P Brown 52.0: TOIL with C Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with L Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with B Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with J Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with T Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with C Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with M Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with F Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with J Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with D Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with K MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with A Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with G Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with D Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with K MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with L Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with S Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with S Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with A Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with S Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with A Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with J Jones
- Introduction to Charmaine Papertalk Green’s Nganajungu Yagu
- Brigid Magner Reviews Michele Leggott’s Vanishing Points and Elizabeth Smither’s Night Horse
- Jack Kelly Reviews Liam Ferney’s Hot Take
- Submission to Cordite 93: PEACH
- Introduction to Cordite 91: MONSTER
- Poetry, Whatsoever: Blake, Blau DuPlessis, and an Expansive Definition of the Poem
- On Being Sanguine: Two Years of Panic and a Response to Terror in Christchurch
- A Deaf Rough Trade: Defending Poetry to ‘regular people’
- 12 Panels by Chris Gooch
- 5 Translated Yosuke Tanaka Poems
- A Buzz in the Retina: On Translating Luljeta Lleshanaku
- ‘That is some crafty bite’: Trisha Pender Interviews Melinda Bufton
- ‘You’re never disembodied from the action’: Dylan Frusher Interviews Judith Beveridge
- Excerpts from Neon Daze
- Chorography and Toute-eau in the Waters of Lower Murray Country
- 6 Poems from Robin M Eames
- Aussi / Or: Un Coup de dés and Mistranslation in the Antipodes
- Every other Friday
- I Still Love Without My Head
- Heath Ledger’s Joker
- Only fair
- small town lazarus
- from Red Black & Blues
- Logical Fallacies of Alien