(After Christian Bök, Eunoia)
Unsunk, thus Pru’s lush cult spurns humdrum hurt,
stuffs stubs, bluffs snubs, shuns slurs, gruff flubdub’s churls;
usurps glut’s smut, hunts stunt, clumps mugwump curt,
Pru’s unsung trump plumbs crux, unfurls, uncurls.
Must skulk dull numskull, humbug blunt us, lurch?
Such upthrusts blur, crunch surplus mulch’s grub;
much snuff numbs hubbub, guru’s sunburst church,
but luck Pru sups, mulls dux scuds’ tut tuts drub.
Pru pulls up Lulu, buds plump cumulus,
sulks tumult’s flux, mump’s grump tugs unjust fluff;
stuns bulrush murk, tufts flurry’s susurrus,
plucks dumb cluck truth, nuns’ hushful murmurs buff.
Hug Pru’s plus Lulu’s humbly put up chums,
burnt spun, hung rubdub, glubglub’s turn succumbs.
Rococo hobos slowly morph to throngs,
how glowworms hobnob on Thor’s ghostly moor;
whom logbook crowns no bloodshot cockcrow wrongs,
for mojo flown yon horn stops short of poor.
Don’t croon too soon from topknot brow O cowl,
for voodoo throb shocks chronos’s droll cost;
consorts moon’s womb forlornly born of owl,
from folly forth fool’s gold forgot who lost.
So lollop on sod’s ivory of tomb,
concoct of protocol orb’s chord sworn low;
go bow to honky-tonk of dodo’s groom,
prolong odzooks for God of sooth to know.
Who swoon contort words’ pomp for rondo trod,
for vow to logos workshops Orloff’s nod.
With inkling Isis sits, its distich blinks,
inclining childish limbs inditing lips;
which nib will bring its lisping, rhyming inks,
which flight inscribing spiritism quips?
Nigh wist is Isis mimicking its lilt,
it isn’t nihilism wings its fin;
in kinnikinnick’s winking, gliding’s spilt
its whitish iris sidling pippin’s skin.
Inciting ibis, Isis thrills its kind,
with rigid timing fixing stripling’s gift;
its ritzy zip implicit, high in mind,
distills in pidgin titbits prismic lift.
If I print whirring lights with sigil’s skill
will kinship disinhibit, vigil fill?
Wherever breves secrete themselves we feel
her freshest berth, the deference they entrench
her deft détente excelled. Bejewelled she’ll wheel
the fevered tempest, then eject, bedrench
the vertex, fête these sleepless fetters. Eve
when new we seethed, perfected essences
then erred erectly. Left esteemed hence we’ve
defected, let the seventh scent deem there’s
emergent meekness checked. The whelm her verse
prefers we deepen, steer her cheek where delves
her egress (egrets there her helmsmen terse
spell shelter’s vestment). Then in wrested twelves
we wreck regret, her vessels’ cerements
we fetch, we ferret felt her flesh frequents.
A stanza calms an angst, as avatars
array a Hannah and an Adam, apt
a tract that vamps a sabbath’s plagal stars.
A bard can tra la la, can hazard rapt
as Mars, attack a badland’s flats as all
phantasmal lamps allay a rash, aghast
athwart a flank that chasms gnaw, a thrall
a carnal mantra. Hannah claps as fast
as Adam, drafts a charm that ably warms
a galaxy’s cabbala, pants and paws
a bacchanal. As vast as scandal’s swarms
a spasm spawns a craft, a jackdaw thaws
at craw, and natally amalgam’s play
attracts a sad alas, a psalm astray.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 94: EARTHSUBMIT to M Takolander 93: PEACHCOMING SOONwith L Van, G Mouratidis, L Toong 92: NO THEME VIIIwith C Gaskin 91: MONSTERwith N Curnow 90: AFRO AUSTRALIANwith S Umar 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith F Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith V Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith J Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith K Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with D Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with P Brown 52.0: TOIL with C Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with L Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with B Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with J Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with T Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with C Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with M Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with F Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with J Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with D Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with K MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with A Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with G Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with D Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with K MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with L Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with S Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with S Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with A Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with S Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with A Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with J Jones
- Submission to Cordite 94: EARTH
- NO THEME VIII Editorial
- ‘A means of resistance’: Susie Anderson Interviews Alison Whittaker
- 10 Works by Richard Bell
- Shipwrecks in Modern European Painting and Poetry: Radical Mobilisation of the Motif as Political Protest
- 4 Self-translations by Danijela Trajković
- Brutalism: Poems by Alex Creece
- Imperfect Growth: a Travel Log
- 4 Translated Kim Seung-hee Poems
- Residence: Dwelling with The Shards (an essay)
- The Shards
- in yr swimming pool
- Sonar for Conception
- The slow clock
- nanny on the water
- Vernal Funks & Bluffs
- I’d Have Called Her Sooner
- Call of Summer
- Sunday, call me a squid
- Mother Bird
- The Wrong Colour
- Milk River
- House fitting : surprisingly