(After Christian Bök, Eunoia)
Unsunk, thus Pru’s lush cult spurns humdrum hurt,
stuffs stubs, bluffs snubs, shuns slurs, gruff flubdub’s churls;
usurps glut’s smut, hunts stunt, clumps mugwump curt,
Pru’s unsung trump plumbs crux, unfurls, uncurls.
Must skulk dull numskull, humbug blunt us, lurch?
Such upthrusts blur, crunch surplus mulch’s grub;
much snuff numbs hubbub, guru’s sunburst church,
but luck Pru sups, mulls dux scuds’ tut tuts drub.
Pru pulls up Lulu, buds plump cumulus,
sulks tumult’s flux, mump’s grump tugs unjust fluff;
stuns bulrush murk, tufts flurry’s susurrus,
plucks dumb cluck truth, nuns’ hushful murmurs buff.
Hug Pru’s plus Lulu’s humbly put up chums,
burnt spun, hung rubdub, glubglub’s turn succumbs.
Rococo hobos slowly morph to throngs,
how glowworms hobnob on Thor’s ghostly moor;
whom logbook crowns no bloodshot cockcrow wrongs,
for mojo flown yon horn stops short of poor.
Don’t croon too soon from topknot brow O cowl,
for voodoo throb shocks chronos’s droll cost;
consorts moon’s womb forlornly born of owl,
from folly forth fool’s gold forgot who lost.
So lollop on sod’s ivory of tomb,
concoct of protocol orb’s chord sworn low;
go bow to honky-tonk of dodo’s groom,
prolong odzooks for God of sooth to know.
Who swoon contort words’ pomp for rondo trod,
for vow to logos workshops Orloff’s nod.
With inkling Isis sits, its distich blinks,
inclining childish limbs inditing lips;
which nib will bring its lisping, rhyming inks,
which flight inscribing spiritism quips?
Nigh wist is Isis mimicking its lilt,
it isn’t nihilism wings its fin;
in kinnikinnick’s winking, gliding’s spilt
its whitish iris sidling pippin’s skin.
Inciting ibis, Isis thrills its kind,
with rigid timing fixing stripling’s gift;
its ritzy zip implicit, high in mind,
distills in pidgin titbits prismic lift.
If I print whirring lights with sigil’s skill
will kinship disinhibit, vigil fill?
Wherever breves secrete themselves we feel
her freshest berth, the deference they entrench
her deft détente excelled. Bejewelled she’ll wheel
the fevered tempest, then eject, bedrench
the vertex, fête these sleepless fetters. Eve
when new we seethed, perfected essences
then erred erectly. Left esteemed hence we’ve
defected, let the seventh scent deem there’s
emergent meekness checked. The whelm her verse
prefers we deepen, steer her cheek where delves
her egress (egrets there her helmsmen terse
spell shelter’s vestment). Then in wrested twelves
we wreck regret, her vessels’ cerements
we fetch, we ferret felt her flesh frequents.
A stanza calms an angst, as avatars
array a Hannah and an Adam, apt
a tract that vamps a sabbath’s plagal stars.
A bard can tra la la, can hazard rapt
as Mars, attack a badland’s flats as all
phantasmal lamps allay a rash, aghast
athwart a flank that chasms gnaw, a thrall
a carnal mantra. Hannah claps as fast
as Adam, drafts a charm that ably warms
a galaxy’s cabbala, pants and paws
a bacchanal. As vast as scandal’s swarms
a spasm spawns a craft, a jackdaw thaws
at craw, and natally amalgam’s play
attracts a sad alas, a psalm astray.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 92: NO THEME VIIISUBMIT to C Gaskin 91: MONSTERwith N Curnow, coming soon! 90: AFRO AUSTRALIANwith S Umar 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith Fiona Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith Vladimir Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith Judith Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith Keri Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with Dan Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with Pam Brown 52.0: TOIL with Carol Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with Luke Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with Bonny Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with John Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with Tracy Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with Corey Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with Michael Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with Felicity Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with Jan Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with Derek Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with Kent MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with Ann Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with Gig Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with Duncan Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with Kent MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with Libby Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with Sarah Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with Sam Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with Astrid Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with Sean Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with Alan Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with Jill Jones
- Aidan Coleman Reviews New and Selected Poems of Anna Wickham
- Ivy Ireland Reviews Ali Whitelock’s and my heart crumples like a coke can
- Editorial to AFRO AUSTRALIAN
- 4 Works by Guled Abdulwasi
- The Platonic Split
- you have no idea how far i swam
- To the still
- Garden of Grace
- Bloody QnA
- The Physics of Self
- Life Poem
- go ahead, call it magic
- Chalk to Charcoal
- (un) learning
- 3 Sisters
- Blood Fuel
- Raelee Lancaster Reviews Alison Whittaker’s Blakwork
- Alex Creece Reviews Marion May Campbell’s third body
- Ivy Ireland Reviews Steve Armstrong
- Magan Magan Reviews deciBels 3
- Claire Albrecht Reviews Manisha Anjali’s Sugar Kane Woman
- Review Short: Simeon Kronenberg’s Distance