1. The dry panini
Oh no – anything, God but this; this
crumbed tongue of hideousness whipped
from iron pants; fatty brains
oozing prematurely from its mashed skull.
I thought we had made it.
I thought we knew about lunch.
Now we’re talking, but your eyes seek the inner
cheese I can’t hide as my tongue flaps arid
crumbs; feigning homogeny of purpose while a glob
of truth plops like a seagull crap in your latte glass.
2. Night in the know
in a dark gridlock;
clasped fingers squeezing
dead-end doors where buff barmen toss
‘wet kisses’; smirks on ice; tankards of edible flowers
soused in lime…
You chucked in a dumpling restaurant’s wheelie bin.
3. Into Sedonia
Our neighbour flapped; a flippered beauty queen just crowned, ‘Did you
hear? They’re opening a sourdough bakery! How much better
can Seddon get?’ I didn’t know. I was a disingenuous prat without a lifestyle.
She looked around, ‘I couldn’t afford to buy here now!’
by direction, we passed that quirky hovel of right-on retro; selling
cotton toys, organic jewellery, rusty bikes, ironic
lamps; plaster cockatoos on wood from the dump; priced: exotic, stilts from
Campbell’s tomato soup cans. Pock-marked signs of rail routes west…
‘I love this shop! I’ll just have a quick look!’ She said.
I stuffed my muffin from the wrong oven and followed her in
to button-eyes and 50s patterns, just right tops and skirts that said I am, I am, I am, I
picked a ring from the jarring cabinet; should have been smashed glass from heists
stuck up with glue from grandma’s kit… But that wouldn’t stand.
It was nice. How much? Your money and your life…
‘I love those cockatoos,’ she said. It was too much; my head went spare.
‘Oh! Why don’t you buy one, then? It would look great upon a dresser.’
Something wasn’t right; the walls
took a look and hid their eyes. Better dash before the milk goes sour on my step…
Too late. Too late, the crocheted maiden cried.
- FREE: 20 Poets anthology
- 91: NO THEME VIIISUBMIT to C Gaskin 90: MONSTERwith N Curnow, coming soon! 89: DOMESTICwith N Harkin 88: TRANSQUEERwith S Barnes and Q Eades 87: DIFFICULTwith O Schwartz & H Isemonger 86: NO THEME VIIwith L Gorton 85: PHILIPPINESwith Mookie L and S Lua 84: SUBURBIAwith L Brown and N O'Reilly 83: MATHEMATICSwith Fiona Hile 82: LANDwith J Stuart and J Gibian 81: NEW CARIBBEANwith Vladimir Lucien 80: NO THEME VIwith Judith Beveridge 57.1: EKPHRASTICwith C Atherton and P Hetherington 57: CONFESSIONwith Keri Glastonbury 56: EXPLODE with Dan Disney 55.1: DALIT / INDIGENOUSwith M Chakraborty and K MacCarter 55: FUTURE MACHINES with Bella Li 54: NO THEME V with F Wright and O Sakr 53.0: THE END with Pam Brown 52.0: TOIL with Carol Jenkins 51.1: UMAMI with Luke Davies and Lifted Brow 51.0: TRANSTASMAN with Bonny Cassidy 50.0: NO THEME IV with John Tranter 49.1: A BRITISH / IRISH with M Hall and S Seita 49.0: OBSOLETE with Tracy Ryan 48.1: CANADA with K MacCarter and S Rhodes 48.0: CONSTRAINT with Corey Wakeling 47.0: COLLABORATION with L Armand and H Lambert 46.1: MELBOURNE with Michael Farrell 46.0: NO THEME III with Felicity Plunkett 45.0: SILENCE with Jan Owen 44.0: GONDWANALAND with Derek Motion 43.1: PUMPKIN with Kent MacCarter 43.0: MASQUE with Ann Vickery 42.0: NO THEME II with Gig Ryan 41.1: RATBAGGERY with Duncan Hose 41.0: TRANSPACIFIC with J Rowe and M Nardone 40.1: INDONESIA with Kent MacCarter 40.0: INTERLOCUTOR with Libby Hart 39.1: GIBBERBIRD with Sarah Gory 39.0: JACKPOT! with Sam Wagan Watson 38.0: SYDNEY with Astrid Lorange 37.1: NEBRASKA with Sean Whalen 37.0: NO THEME! with Alan Wearne 36.0: ELECTRONICA with Jill Jones
- Alex Creece Reviews Marion May Campbell’s third body
- Ivy Ireland Reviews Steve Armstrong
- Magan Magan Reviews deciBels 3
- Claire Albrecht Reviews Manisha Anjali’s Sugar Kane Woman
- Review Short: Simeon Kronenberg’s Distance
- Review Short: Judith Beveridge’s Sun Music: New and Selected Poems
- Melody Paloma Reviews Keri Glastonbury
- Submission to Cordite 91: NO THEME VIII
- Judith Bishop Reviews Phillip Hall’s Fume
- Bella Li on as Associate Publisher
- Alex Creece on as Production Editor
- Review Short: Diane Fahey’s November Journal and Carmen Leigh Keates’s Meteorites
- Review Short: Vahni Capildeo’s Seas and Trees and Jennifer Harrison’s Air Variations
- To Outlive a Home: Poetics of a Crumbling Domestic
- ‘The Rally Is Calling’: Dashiell Moore Interviews Lionel Fogarty
- Jackie Ryan: Teaser to Burger Force 3
- Dispatch from the Future Fish
- Introduction to Cordite 89: DOMESTIC
- 7 Portraits by Ali Gumillya Baker
- Selections from 3 Yhonnie Scarce Series
- Kathy Acker and The Viewing Room
- To Live There: on ‘Dispatch from the Future Fish’
- The Wild Workshop: The Ghost of a Brontëan Childhood in the Life of Dorothy Hewett
- Externalising the Symptom: Radicalised Youth and The Membrane
- On Deep Breaths and Friends Forever: Im/materiality and Mis/communication in Happy Angels Revisited
- Letter to Anne Carson: Work of Remembrance and Mourning
- Translated Extracts from Chantal Danjou