You can't keep a good thing down. Period. It's time for the fourth installment in our increasingly popular (and always relevant) series, Cordite's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions. Who knows, maybe one day we can compile these questions and answers into a massive Readers Digest style omnibus, and flog them off on eBay. Until then, please consider the truly breathtaking responses provided by alicia sometimes …
1. What sustains you?
Fresh, thoughtful questions (like this one) from friends. Made up band bios and their fictional breakthrough albums. The benefits of a spa. Word games that are endless, mad and inspiring with those closest. Sexy accents.
Because life is better than an old stained glass window.
3. Are you listening?
Always: Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Gillian Welch, Van Dyke Parks, Neil Young, Moldy Peaches, Bright Eyes, The Atlantics, Blind Willie Johnson, Lead Belly, The Kinks, Curtis Mayfield, New Buffalo, Tom Waits, Catpower, The Scientists, Danielson Famile, a few concept albums and to poetry…
4. Joker or thief?
Thief. I'm bower bird. The joker told me there'd be someway out of here so I stole his hat.
5. What's the point?
That bit in a Venn diagram where the circles overlap.
6. If you could choose one contemporary sportsperson to interpret your poetry, who would it be?
Bia and Branca Feres – two of the best Brazilian synchronized swimmers. They'd do a lot with my poetry.
7. If you could be a sport what would you be?
The Cold-Hard World of Competitive Hopscotch.
8. What's the stupidest question you've ever been asked?
Besides this one, I'd have to say, 'How do you like your science?'
9. You have been commissioned by the Prime Minister to write a preamble for the Australian constitution. How do you begin? (Just one sentence please)
10. Who turned the lights out?
… is a better question than: 'Who let the dogs out?'